Friday, September 09, 2005

Would You?

This was dropped in our letter box the other day......
img002
img004



If you don’t have time to read it, here’s the short version.

This woman is looking for a kidney for her son. Because it is illegal to buy/sell body organs, she wants to form a friendship and then harvest your kidney.

I understand that during desperate times, people will do almost anything in the hope that someone, anyone, would be willing to make such a sacrifice to give their loved one the gift of life.

The more I think about it, the more it tears at my heart. Here is this mother, who loves her son and is fearful of losing him to this terrible disease, has gone as far as a letter box drop, in the hope that someone will be selfless enough to donate an organ and save his life.

Have I considered it....... yes....briefly......

Would I actually do it? No. The fact that I have the wrong blood group has a little to do with it, also the fact that I smoke, am overweight, and have lead a semi-rockstar life with all the drinking and drugs I’ve done in the past would make me a not so exceptional candidate.

It’s the “what if’s” that have me answering a resounding NO. What if I have kidney problems in the future? What if one day one of my family need a kidney?

But then........if it was me or someone I love, and no one was a match, wouldn’t I reach out in the hope that someone would find it in their heart to be so generous?

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa P. said...

Interesting. My mom had kidney cancer about six years ago and as such only has one kidney, herself. I've often thought about what we would do if the other one failed, but I don't think I could do something like this woman did. However, I can't speak from her position... one never knows.

As for whether I would donate, given my own family situation, no, but would I think about it if that weren't the case? I am not sure. Something to think about.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I would do ANYTHING to bring my Alex back. So yes, I would probably do what this mother did if it meant my son had a chance to live.

I don't know that I could donate my kidney to someone I didn't know though. I'm a cynic by nature and would fear they wouldn't care for it properly. I would want to know I could trust the person with it.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

I can't imagine what that woman is going through. It would be so hard. I would hope if I got a letter like that I would at least go for testing. I don't know if I even could because I am ttc but I would really want to help. I don't really know if I would be that strong but I would like to think I was.
Jenna

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jillian said...

I think I am just really glad no one asked me because I always feel obliged to do what ever is possible to help but I don't think I could do this. What if my own kids needed it one day and I had already given it away?

That poor woman though:( I hope she gets her miracle.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home